Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sea of Galilee- Jesus walking on Water

During my normal Bible studies I learned that the Sea of Galilee, which is the lowest body of water on earth and is 1,300 ft below sea level has lumps of asphalt floating on it in its southern end.  I don't know if this will have any relevance to anything I might do but I found it interesting. I read through Jesus walking on water today. Matthew 14:22-34, Mark 6:45-56 From the Archeological bible I learned the following:
Location:
Sea of Galilee 14 miles long, 6 miles wide (actually a lake)
Boat take off:
????Near Shores of Bethsaida
Take off Description:
( As this was just after the feeding of the 5,000 it could have been a barren place)
Boat Landing:
Gennesaret
Landing Description: 
3 mile plain along the north western shore of the Sea of Galilee going about 1 mile inland. Rich, well watered soil, very fertile probably covered with Fig, olive, palm and walnut trees.
Time:
Fourth Watch,   which was from 3:00 am to 6:00 am
Conditions:  rough stormy waters with the wind against the disciples paddling against the wind in the boat.
Boat:
A boat from Jesus' time that was found was 26.5 feet long, 7.5 feet wide and 4.5 feet deep.  It could hold a ton- five crew members and a catch or the crew and ten passengers.  They used a large dragnet (Hundreds of feet long or a circular casting net 6.3 -8.8 yards diameter) - Historical notes on Fishing taken from the Archeological  Bible page 1676.  There's a great map of Jesus' Ministry on Map 11 with details of possible locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment